Filling in forms and answering examination questions: two sides of the same coin!

Image result for filling in a form penOne of my colleagues at Sheffield, a yeast geneticist, once said to me that "experimental scientists stand and fall on their ability to write". At first I didn't get wheat he meant, but then I realised he was absolutely right. If I want to carry out a piece of original research (as with your EPQ), I need to persuade a group of experts that my idea is sound, and that it meets all of the criteria required for them to award me the money to carry out the project. (FYI a typical project in Science will cost around £150 000 per year to carry out). I don't get the opportunity to meet any of these "experts" (or peer reviewers as they are known), I don't even get to know who they are! I am also given specific instructions on what to write and how much to write. If I don't follow the rubric, they don't even read my application.

Assuming my idea does get funded, when it comes to telling the world about my results and conclusions, I can attend scientific meetings and give talks about the work, but it is the written publication that appears in a respected and (yes, here we go again), peer reviewed journal, that gets recognised. And this is what then enables me to apply for more funding....and so it goes. I think you will agree: he was absolutely right! Of course, in between writing, we do carry out some experiments!

When I am given a form to fill in, like the EPQ Project Proposal Form, I fill in the simple stuff and then I look carefully at any guidance or indications of what is expected in a particular section. For example: Section Two is where you explain why you have chosen to work on a particular topic.

Reasons for choosing the project (eg, links to other subjects you are studying, personal interest, future plans, knowledge/skills you want to improve, why the topic is important)

What are they looking for in your response? This is very similar to an examination question in which the setter provides some direction on what to consider in writing your answer. If you ignore these guidelines, you may well misjudge the question. A road which can only lead to disappointment! So ALWAYS follow the guidelines! IN this particular situation, this is what they are looking for. Let's say you have chosen to investigate the topic:

Is it the responsibility of the individual, the restaurant or the Government, to ensure that individuals who have a peanut allergy are not placed at unreasonable risk when they choose an item of a menu?

Reasons for choosing the project?

I recently saw an item on TV in which the courts fined a restaurant over £100 000, because an item on the menu, that was not clearly labelled as containing nuts, was eaten by a young girl, who subsequently died. Was £100 000 enough compensation for the family who have lost a child tragically? Should those people with allergies be expected to ask if a product contains nuts? The fine led to the closure of the shop with the loss of 3 jobs: I didn't think this was fair on the staff who were just following orders. For these and other similar reasons, I wanted to understand all of the factors involved in this, since my brother is allergic to peanuts.

I hope you can see, I have provided the examiner with a good reason, it has plenty of details and illustrates how my mind works and considers such issues.

Links to other subjects

I am studying Biology A Level and taking a Business Studies BTEC. As a Biologist, I am fascinated by the body's response to allergens like peanuts (because of my brother), but also medicines like penicillin. I am also thinking about the difficulties in running a business, and how much of a factor "regulatory compliance" is , in making a business profitable, while avoiding adverse publicity. 

Again, I am providing information about the legitimate choice of project topic and something about my academic background and aspirations.

Future Plans

I have mentioned my subject interests earlier: I am interested in studying Biotechnology at University, but I would like to run my own business, rather than work for a large company. This project should give me early insight into some of the challenges faced by start up companies, in particular how things like Health and Safety, can be critical for establishing a viable business.

New skills


In carrying out this project, I hope to learn more about the application of my Biology knowledge in the "real world". I also feel that I need to look at a specific case from a legal perspective: as an individual affected by a policy decision faces a battle for compensation with a major Food Company and restaurant chain.

Again, I am trying to demonstrate that the project takes me away from the Curriculum and applies my  knowledge in such a a way that will give me greater insight into sustainable business planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment